What’s a little known tip that you’ve come across for healthier breathing?

Breathing is such a mundane and simple thing that we do everyday. Yet, its health benefits are countless and there are various techniques to help us reap those benefits better. Share any tips, facts, or even motivational quotes that you’ve learned on how to breathe better!

*This discussion question was featured on our blog post:
Everything You Need to Know about Indoor Air Quality
Episode 2 - Health effects of Particulate Matter

8 Likes

Personally, as someone who has a decent amount of anxiety, I use my breath as a way to calm myself. That’s one of the reasons I think it’s so important to me to have healthier air to breathe. Taking long deep breaths if the air is dirty seems counterproductive!

7 Likes

I normally open window in my bedroom and livingroom to get the fresh air in and hopefully it helps with the air circulation.

7 Likes

When I go to bed, I turn on my portable dehumidifier in the bedroom. That helped to remove the moisture in the air and created a healthy and comfortable breathing environment in my apartment.

7 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i have all these room solutions that i dont know if theyr making a difference or not. My Awair in the living room says it’s good all the time. I have a portable purifier in living room and bedroom and a room dehumidifer in the hall. i think i need to get some professional help. still waking up with stuffy nose most mornings.

7 Likes

I picked up a bit of yoga during COVID (just following along on some YouTube videos, absolutely LOVE Yoga with Adriene) and found that the deep breathing really helped clear my head and relax my body. One thing that’s really stuck with me is that taking deep breaths in is really good, but doing deep exhales to push the used/old/stale air out is equally important too. :slight_smile:

EDIT: This is the YouTube channel I’m referring to!! https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I too love the use of deep breathing exercises to help manage my stress and anxiety as well. I find myself doing it A LOT when I’m driving during rush hour :sweat_smile:. Such a good point about recognizing the need for CLEAN air to do this type of breathing!!

Love that you brought this up! I have the opposite problem as you, especially right now during the winter when I have my heater on every night. The air gets SO DRY and I wake up with a sore/scratchy throat :’(

6 Likes

I stumbled across a breathing technique a while back. A friend told me about a technique called “4-7-8”. Basically, we breathe for 4 counts, hold the breath for 7 counts, then exhale for eight seconds. It’s supposed to bring the body into a state of deep relaxation. It works for me! I like doing it before bed :slight_smile:

Here’s an article I found that talks about it a bit more, if anyone is interested: 4-7-8 Breathing: How It Works, How to Do It, and More?

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I didn’t know it had a name, but that’s similar to what I’ve practised with my counsellor too. We do a 6-4-6 approach though :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wish I could do it - I only get car fumes mixed with neighbors’ cooking smells :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Wim Hof has guided meditations and exercises that you might find useful. He also has an app, but it’s not free.

3 Likes

You may need to have a blower door test. It sounds like you may have some air infiltration issues. Reputable companies are not the same things are knowledgeable so ask lots of questions. There is a hvac 2.0 course online by Nate the house whisperer that may help you narrow down your issues culprit(s).

4 Likes

I find any breathing is healthier than no breathing :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Oh Thank you @Susie.Dunn . that sounds like a good hint to what my issues (at least the house related ones) could be lol
i’ve never heard of a blower door test. what are the benefits of doing that? (i will google too)

3 Likes

I have a great video link you can watch. James Brown Blower Door video - YouTube

4 Likes

JAMES BROWN!?! Amazing. Thank you for the link. I’ll find a company to do this!

2 Likes