What do you do when you home is too hot or too cold?

Or maybe it’s usually just right! What are your tips on getting to a comfortable temperature and humidity level?

3 Likes

I often feel like my apartment is warm because we have a central heating system, so I bought a portable air conditioner for my place. But I feel that the portable air conditioner is effecting the air quality in my apartment.

4 Likes

I meant to go first, but @kabirT beat me to it haha.

I live in a detached home in Vancouver. We have a central heating system (because it does get quite cold in the winter), and no air conditioning (though we might look into getting one because the recent heatwaves over the summer have been brutal!). For the majority of the year, I tend to feel more cold than warm in the home. The insulation isn’t the greatest; when I stand near doors and windows, I can definitely feel cold air leaking in :sweat_smile:

During the winter, when it gets really cold:

• We have a space heater in every room where people are sleeping just to try and save on energy costs overnight when the entire house doesn’t need to be heated.
  • I wear slippers to insulate our feet from the cold floors and just wear more layers in general :socks:
  • We used to put large styrofoam pieces in front of especially leaky windows…but have stopped doing that because we like being able to see the view outside
  • And lastly, I avoid leaving the comfort of my warm blankets (just kidding) :sleeping_bed:
3 Likes

Haha I’m in Prince George right now for school but previously lived in Vancouver. I used to think it was cold…but learned how much colder it can get :wink:

I also have a space heater in my room right now and crank it up every night. The only problem is that I find that it gets too dry in the morning when I get up and my throat and nose are super irritated. Can’t wait for summer! haha

4 Likes

We live in a heritage house in Vancouver, BC. It was gutted in 1989 and we’re definitely feeling the leakiness of the envelope now. We’ve got the furnace working whenever we’re home, which is most of the time (we both work from home). My husband is always cold, I run warm though so I don’t care so much about it being cooler. Plus I want to save money and not spend too much more on heating. It’s really surprising how much we have to heat the place in a temperate climate like the Pacific Northwest.

Despite having forced air, we have a room dehumidifier which we have running pretty much 24/7 out in the hall, close to the front door. It helps us not wake up with condensation on the windows.

We’ve noticed in the app that we get a lot of chemical buildup at night, which I’m guessing is CO2 because we’re not really doing much that would cause new chemicals to be released. You don’t necessarily want your windows open in the winter, leaking out fresh heat, so we’ll turn the heat off in specific areas in the house, close the doors and open up the windows to air it out.

5 Likes

I have the same issue, except I tend to be on the colder side while my husband is on the warmer side. It’s tricky finding that balance…seems silly to run the furnace when one person ends up in shorts and a t-shirt.

4 Likes

I try to always keep my temp at 23 Celcius degree. When it’s too hot, I will open the window to let the cold air in and when it’s too cold I will adjust the heater.

3 Likes

During the winter I just put on a sweater :slight_smile: But if it’s below 18 degrees C I turn on the thermostat. In summer I can tolerate temperatures up to 26 degrees, but my husband is much more sensitive to heat, so we turn on the AC. i assume it would be a little bit different in a detached house (I live in a condo right now)

2 Likes

My parents recently bought an spacious but older home and although we installed a new furnace and water boiler etc, its still constantly somewhat cold in our rooms! Our windows seem ‘leak in’ cold air. My father has bad joints hence he requires his room toasty so we just ended up getting a small portable heater to blow hot air at him constantly haha. It’s warm but it gets SUPER dry in the room now. Constant struggle of either being warm but too dry or being cold but hey, it works for now!

4 Likes

I actually like to use extra ventilation (either passive via the windows, or mechanical via my HRV in winter) for free cooling (when outdoor air quality allows for it) when the home is too hot, and if it is Summertime, then use de humidification and central air conditioning if that ventilation doesnt cool it down.
If it is too cool, I ask who has been screwing with the thermostat!! JK :grin:

4 Likes

My home is rarely cold, as my family loves to turn up the heater (around 25C) so I’m constantly wearing summer clothes in the winter in my home! Unfortunately in Vancouver, AC systems are not always installed so it gets very hot in the summer. We have a fan but not portable AC as our local municipality requires a permission to install one. It can get pretty hot here in the summer with climate change… :hot_face:

4 Likes

I definitely have this same struggle haha. Do I want to be warm today? Or do I want to wake up without a sore throat?

3 Likes

Yeah, dry air affects lots of things, including your immunity - dry nose or throat doesn’t work as they should fighting viruses and such.

2 Likes