Assistance with IFTTT: control portable HEPA with Kasa smart switch (lite)

Does anyone have any experience with setting up the Honeywell HPA300 to come on (automagically) when the Haven ICQ states that the particles are at a specific level using IFTTT?

I contacted Honeywell tech support, and they don’t say if it can or cannot be done, just repeat from the manual that it should be plugged directly into the wall, and not a smart switch. They didn’t answer my question if the unit could come on by itself, without having to touch the buttons. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hopefully I can help with this! My first question about the HPA300 is around what happens when it’s plugged-in or unplugged.

To determine if we can make this work with IFTTT through a smart plug, can you do an experiment for me?

1. Turn on the device so that the fan is on
  2. Unplug the device
  3. Plug it back in but don’t press any buttons

After you’ve completed that, does the device resume operation? Or does it not power back up until after you press a button?

1 Like

Unfortunately, it does nothing. Annoying as heck. I MUST set it every time. Thanks for the quick response.

1 Like

Ah drat, yes that is a headache. The makers of those products likely designed those soft buttons to make most features easy to use compared to hard buttons and switches.

Here’s what I suggest for finding a purifier that works with IFTTT:

1. Native Integration: Many “smart” purifiers list on their box or in their web listing if they are compatible with IFTTT without any extra hardware. Levoit, Wemo, and Samsung have released purifiers that just require a few clicks in the IFTTT app to allow HAVEN to control them.
  2. “Old-school” buttons: This is what I have in my home. When shopping for a purifier, I selected a purifier that has an old school knob, where when I unplug the device and plug it back in, it will start right back up. That behaviour allows you to pair it with smart plug like the ones from Kasa or Wemo so that it can now be controlled through IFTTT.

I hope that helps!

Yes! Great tips Ben. Too bad I already have two of these HEPA machines. Lol. They were bought specifically to attempt to get rid of any Covid spores. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I have a bipolar that I have on a separate transformer plugged into the wall. If I plug it into a smart plug I can have it run when needed using IFTTT? Thats awesome. I have only used IFTTT a few times but knew it had possibilities beyond what I used it for. This is really amazing

2 Likes

Yes, using smart plugs and switches can create some really creative solutions for addressing indoor air quality problems! I personally have my bath fans in my home automatically turn on and off during humidity and VOC events.

I’ll try to make a video on how to take full advantage of IFTTT + HAVEN soon, but in the mean time, here’s a blog post I wrote with some examples, and I’ve built some templates inside of IFTTT that you can use to simplify using IFTTT + HAVEN in your own homes.

1 Like

Trying to use iftttt to customize to come on with my wyze smart plug and it won’t let me select the Monitor?? Am I doing something wrong? (with bluetooth)

1 Like

it should find the serial# of Monitor you have installed on your WiFi. Does it not load the list? or is it that it does not list the Monitor once the list is loaded?

It doesn’t load anything

1 Like

Hey @Susie.Dunn I can help you directly through our support center. Once we figure out what the problem is we’ll post the solution back into this thread.

Can you email prosupport@haveniaq.com with the serial number of the device you’re trying to use with IFTTT, and the email account you use for Accessing the HAVEN App?

1 Like

I would like to see the solution posted here so that I will know what to do when my Kasa switch arrives for the bathroom fan

So it worked when I used the right account to link it up to. I have it kick the bipolar on as need for poor pm2.5 levels, off as needed and then log each event on a Google sheet. 3 is all you are allowed on a free account.

Another question I have is about thermostats. We have the honeywell t6 pro wifi stat. What event trigger would you suggest for ifttt automation if possible?

2 Likes

Excellent choice of thermostat!!
Hope you don’t mind my suggestions, but I would use PM2.5 and/or tVOC as the trigger for your main fan. The furnace filter will obviously handle the PM and the ionizer will reduce the PM2.5 and tVOC (in the case of the iWave-R).

2 Likes