Does flooding affect my HVAC system?

I live in Ontario and it was very cold in the winters, but it was also very hot and humid in the summers. I think our HVAC system works fine in the winters and summers (we have a furnace and air conditioning). But in the Fall, there’s a bit of flooding every year (at least in my area). When it floods, does that affect the HVAC system at all? Anything we need to watch out for?

3 Likes

Gosh, I have no idea. Does your house flood every year??
I found a couple decent posts on this:

5 Likes

The building where I live right now had some severe flooding in the underground parkade a few years ago. I’m pretty lucky I didn’t have a car at the time and it didn’t affect me at all, but I wondered if the flooding caused any permanent damage, like mold. They had to use water pumps to remove the water.
So I guess your furnace would be done for if the room where it’s located gets flooded, you’d have to remove the water and dry everything up. And get a new furnace, unless those are waterproof lol.

3 Likes

Pretty luck in that the flooding hasn’t reached any equipment (that I can see)…but good call to check for mold.

3 Likes

I would watch out for mold. The office I worked in flooded last year (it was crazy, water was gushing in from the crack under the front door and from the electrical outlets) due to heavy rainfall and we needed to tear up all the carpeting right away to avoid any structural damage that would make renovations/repairs even more costly.

3 Likes

Any tips for killing the mold? In my experience, it always comes back :frowning:

2 Likes

If your HVAC starts blowing bubbles…you may want to call someone. :rofl:

4 Likes

If the mold keeps coming back, it is because the issue causing it still exists. When dealing with water damage, what we see on our side of the wall is only typically about 10% of the actual damage. So if there is mold on the outside of the wall, something behind (inside the wall/structure) is causing it. Also, water will follow gravity so the leak that causes the mold is not necessarily in the same spot as the mold itself. It could leak in elsewhere, and then follow the structural members throughout the home to a place where it finally collects. It is there you will see the damage first in most cases, but the bulk of the damage remains hidden unless properly inspected.

4 Likes